Recommended Books for School-Age Children
- Cell Phoney Paperback, Julia Cook and Anita DuFalla
- The Technology Tail, Julia Cook and Anita DuFalla
- Bullying Is a Pain in the Brain, Trevor Romain and Steve Mark
- Stand Up to Bullying! (Upstanders to the Rescue!), Phyllis Kaufman Goodstein and Elizabeth Verdick
Recommended Books for Parents
- iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy–and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood, Jean M. Twenge
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Adele Farber and Elaine Mazlish
- Social Media Wellness, Ana Homayoun
- Reclaiming Conversation, Sherry Turkle
- Screenwise, Devorah Heitner
For more information on other mental health conditions that can be aggravated by excessive or dangerous social media use, please visit our other mental health guides.
If your child expresses thoughts of wanting to harm themselves or others, call 9-1-1 or visit the nearest Emergency Department.
(877) 7CRISIS or (877) 727-4747
Text “HOME” to 741741
Save for later
Download, print or share on social media.
American Psychological Association
Promoting healthy technology use for children
Child Mind Institute
Media Guidelines for Kids of All Ages
Family media plan and media time calculator
Dangerous internet challenges
The New York Times
How to use TikTok’s parental controls
Parent resources for YouTube
Safety resources for parents
Parental guide for teens on Instagram
Find a mental health provider
Check your insurance website or the back of your insurance card.
Explore Psychology Today’s “Find a Therapist” tool.
Call CalOptima Behavioral Health (Orange County, CA).