Mental health books
- Something Very Sad Happened: A Toddler’s Guide to Understanding Death – Bonnie Zucker and Kim Fleming
- The Memory Box: A Book About Grief – Joanna Rowland and Thea Baker
- Why Do I Feel So Sad?: A Grief Book for Children – Tracy Lambert-Prater
- The Invisible String – Patrice Karst, Joanne Lew-Vriethoff
- Healing Your Grieving Heart for Teens: 100 Practical Ideas (Healing Your Grieving Heart series) – Alan D Wolfelt
- How to Carry What Can’t Be Fixed: A Journal for Grief – Megan Devine
- When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving & Healing – Marilyn E. Gootman
- When a Child Dies – Claire Aagaard
- The Unspeakable Loss: How Do You Live After a Child Dies? – Nisha Zenoff
For more information on other mental health conditions, please visit our other mental health guides.
If your child expresses thoughts of wanting to harm themselves or others, call 9-1-1 or visit the nearest emergency department.
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline:
Text any message to 9-8-8
Chat online at 988lifeline.org/chat
Crisis Text Line:
Text “HOME” to 741741
Save for later
Download, print or share on social media.
Find a mental health provider
Check your insurance website or the back of your insurance card.
Explore Psychology Today’s “Find a Therapist” tool.
Call CalOptima Behavioral Health (Orange County, CA).