Tips for helping preteens and teens navigating puberty
Puberty causes dramatic changes in how you look and feel. If you are confused or overwhelmed, you are not alone! It’s a lot to navigate.
Use the following tips from Dr. Terez Yonan, adolescent medicine specialist at CHOC, to help you navigate puberty:
- Remember that this is normal. All these changes are happening to prepare you for adulthood. Cut yourself, and others, some slack during this time.
- Remember that everyone is different. Don’t worry if your friends are starting puberty before or after you. Everyone will be going through the same thing eventually.
- Ask your parents questions. Your parents were once preteens and teenagers! If you feel comfortable talking to your parents about the changes you are feeling, they can offer helpful guidance.
- Seek advice. If you rather talk to your doctor about these changes, ask your parents to make you an appointment. They don’t have to stay in the room with you if you don’t want them to.
- Practice good hygiene. Make sure to shower, put on deodorant and wash your face and help you feel confident if you are sweating more and getting acne.
- Don’t rush into dating. As your body changes, you may feel suddenly much more interested in finding a significant other. Don’t feel pressured to start a relationship right away. Enjoy school, activities and time with family and friends.
- If you’re ready for dating, talk to your parents and your doctor about how to have a healthy and safe relationship. Your parents may also have expectations about dating.
- Keep your mental health in mind. It’s normal to not feel like yourself during all of these physical changes, but if you are experiencing prolonged periods of sadness or anxiety, be sure to talk about it with your parents or doctor. If you have suicidal thoughts or ideas, use the following resources below to get help.
If your child expresses thoughts of wanting to harm themselves or others, call 9-1-1 or visit the nearest emergency department.
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline:
Text any message to 9-8-8
Chat online at 988lifeline.org/chat
Crisis Text Line:
Text “HOME” to 741741
Save for later
Download, print or share on social media.